Question:
as you are now so once was i; as i am now so you shall be - ?
Allie Davis
2010-10-02 00:42:39 UTC
i came across this saying on a tattoo that i really like. i've been trying to do some research on the quote, origin, & opinions & views on it. the full quote is;
Remember me as you pass by
As you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, you soon will be.
Prepare for death, and think of me.

if anyone is familiar, & can or wants to try to elaborate with me i'd love to hear what you know about it & your opinion as well.
this is something i'm seriously interested in, so don't waste you're time if you wanna say something rude. thank you! :]
22 answers:
elenchuskb
2010-10-02 01:33:21 UTC
One possible origin ---

An 1850 edition of the New England Historical and Genealogical Register cites the Canterbury tomb of Edward the Black Prince (1330-1376) as the source of the verse. Edward's epitaph was originally written in Norman French, but was at some point translated into English:

Whoso thou be that passeth by;

Where these corps entombed lie:

Understand what I shall say,

As at this time speak I may.

Such as thou art, sometime was I,

Such as I am, such shalt thou be.

Edward's epitaph, though it contains some of the sentiments found in the later poem, does not exhort the visitor to, "prepare for death and follow me."

The blog listed below
Michelle
2016-08-06 12:01:44 UTC
I live in western North Carolina and there's a grave from the 1860's in a local cemetery that reads similar, it goes:

Look on me as you pass by

As you are now, so once was I

Am I am now, you soon will be

So, fix for death and follow me.

There's a local legend that says the woman buried there killed herself after finding her husband with another woman and this is the epitaph she left. The legend says if you say this saying 3 times at her grave her spirit will appear and if you follow her you'll go into the afterworld with her never to be seen again.
Lori R
2015-09-23 05:39:16 UTC
On the way to the shore, Wildwood, N.J. lies a decrepit cemetery. With but one headstone still bearing writing, and the poem here, was inscribed upon it. This has been well over 40 years ago, and barely legible at that time. I found it so prophetic, that it as remained with me all these years.

"Remember me as you pass by

As you are now, so once was I.

As I am now, you soon shall be.

Prepare for death, and think of me."

Lori Ruberti
2017-01-11 10:59:54 UTC
As You Are Now
2014-08-27 11:23:43 UTC
Its an ancient rhyme, but an interesting variant where I heard it first is Ralph Stanley's song Look On And Cry, which incorporates it so naturally that it sounds like it is the origin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REgfIDhqttU

;)
BlueEyesMe
2014-02-15 16:09:19 UTC
This was on the cards that was given out at my Mothers funeral. As we walked by her to say goodbye she was dead and I was alive. At one time we both did breathe, her heart had stopped but mine did bleed. I was left behind to grieve as she went on to be with thee. My Mother knew that death was near, so she left this message to calm my fears. Some day I will be in the very same state, but rest assure We go to a better place. So when I die Our souls will meet again, kneeling at Jesus' feet in the promise land.
James
2016-03-31 08:04:43 UTC
This is an inscription in ossery in Rome. I have the post card with the inscription ready for my own headstone Can't exactly remember but some were near plasta navaro
Miguel
2010-10-02 00:55:15 UTC
Your quote is a warning of the inevitability of death. Usually found on headstones this Neoclassical Greek Revival motif was popular in England from 1660-1740.
?
2016-07-01 20:18:46 UTC
Witches Killed by there towns people would use this on every Witch Tomb across the US ... "As I Once Was

So You are Now.

As I Am Now

Soon You will Be.

Prepare For death

And Follow Me."
kay_kay
2010-10-02 00:52:51 UTC
I have heard this saying before in school and i loved it.

It was in a song written by Mary Jane. It is also a common quote used on tombstones.

Depending on your midset, you can look at this different ways.. One way is, you have to be careful with your life cause you only have one and it passes by quick and before you know it, its over. Another way is that no matter what goes on in your life, what problems you are having.. someone else in the world has been there. you are never alone even at your lowest.

I hope this helped and got you thinking.
?
2014-09-29 03:56:20 UTC
remember me as you pass by; as you are now so once was I . As I am now so you shall be ; prepare for death and follow me. passage from a tombstone engraving, circa 1780 ad .
?
2013-09-18 19:12:56 UTC
My dad, who is 98, says this (sometimes) more than once a day. "As you are now, I once was. As I am today, you will one day be.". To be frank, we are sick of it. For one thing ... Like I'm going to live to be 98? And like he was taking care of a 98 year old parent at my age? NOT! Gimme a break!
nameless
2010-10-02 01:44:08 UTC
Remember me as you pass by

As you are now, so once was I.

As I am now, you soon will be.

Prepare for death, and think of me.

~~~ It could be a dead person talking; "as you are (alive) he once was, and as he is (dead) you will be", remember 'death'!

Ya think?
Fake Genius
2010-10-02 04:13:57 UTC
we are humankind. humans live human life in human society of different kind made by humanity.

lovely poem... we all should remember!

Remember youth as you pass by,

As you was once, so once was I,

As I am now, you soon will be,

Prepare to die and follow me

Epitaph on a warlock grave

http://www.coolquotescollection.com/Last5.aspx

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5506125&fbid=427599126021&id=344707406021
jimmy
2010-10-02 00:54:27 UTC
An epitaph - on a tattoo ? Well, taken on its own- it can be an encouragement for greater success, or a warning for impending woe if one does not change his/her ways....
dudes
2010-10-02 01:02:54 UTC
well i'd say that the guy who wrote that meant that as we go our own way let us learn from the those went before us let us learn from their mistakes
Julia
2010-10-02 00:55:45 UTC
why would you saddle yourself with a lame quote like that for the rest of your life in a tattoo? its banal and not even true. you might be a stark raving lunatic killer... and i can assure you, i shall NOT (ever) be like that...
?
2015-11-15 20:52:10 UTC
I heard it as " as i was . you are, as I am, you shall be" and it was attributed to hitler
?
2016-08-25 17:53:34 UTC
Embrace the dark, and follow me.
2013-12-02 13:53:17 UTC
I'm looking for it too. it is very medieval sin't it?
theboat96
2016-07-18 06:07:45 UTC
ONE DAY YOU WILL BE JUDGED AND TIME IS RUNNING OUT
?
2010-10-02 03:07:00 UTC
My highest truth.

If you find out, welcome home Buddha.