Question:
Can we doubt doubts...?
Dee ®
2010-09-06 03:24:50 UTC
Yes? No? How? Why?

...Just doubting.

Thanks!
Eight answers:
?
2010-09-10 04:36:09 UTC
Contemporary skepticism (or scepticism) is loosely used to denote any questioning attitude,[1] or some degree of doubt regarding claims that are elsewhere taken for granted "wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skepticism"

In the worldview of skepticism "doubt" not only can you doubt your own doubts, you MUST doubt doubts...........why is this the case ill give an example..........

If some one is of the view of we should "doubt" everything, fair enough, but to be fair and consistent they must "doubt" their own doubts, cause if they don't, what they are then doing is saying, we doubt everything yet we dont doubt our own doubts thus being in contradiction of their own world view.

So where does this lead us in the world view of doubts, ok so we doubt, then we doubt that we doubt, then we doubt that we doubt that we doubt, then we doubt that we doubt that we doubt that we doubt..........this goes on to infinity, and causes an infinite regress of doubting what ever the last doubt was.

This i submit to you, is a flawed, un-workable, and fundamentally useless as a world view (sure as a mind set of always asking questions is good so the "spirit of doubt and questioning is not at issue), but as an actual world view philosophical system, is useless, contradictory and thus shown false.

Remember if they try to get out of an infinite regress of doubt, doubting doubts, doubting the doubts about doubt etc by no longer doubting what ever their last doubt is (which they must do, cause no human can actually fullfill an infinite regress of doubt), they have contradicted their own world view of doubt, showing them in contradiction of their own "skepticism/we must doubt everything" world view.

Compare this system of skepticism/doubt to that of a philosophical system of rational logic built on the foundation of axiomatic truths (axiomatic truths are self evident, are consistent even when applied to themselves and don't need something outside of its self to justify its existence, and are shown true, cause in order to try and show them false, you have to accept they are in true, while arguing they are false, eg law of non contradiction)

I submit to you the rational logic philosophical system is shown superior to the skeptical/Always doubting world view.
?
2010-09-06 03:41:56 UTC
Doubt Originate is "duo" that means two(2).

Yes we can,but the events follow as below:

Doubt in doubts become:

2*2=4

2*4=8

.

.

.

Like the cells proliferation.and Concept?

The first cell says:I doubt to myself,then become 2,and one of two cells says:I doubt

and this events continue such as cascade reactions and don't stop to endless point.
Julia
2010-09-06 03:42:13 UTC
yes... and to do so it the first step you make before change!!

if you have a doubt about something, when new light is shed on it, you can then have a doubt about your previous doubt... which then eliminates your doubt... so you are then doubtless!

it frees you up and stops you being a doubting Thomas!!

am i right?? I doubt it!
[ Aiza^ ]
2010-09-06 03:48:07 UTC
Yes. Especially for the skeptics and agnostics.

It's like trying to catch someone telling a lie. You doubt someone's statement.

Ex.

The person says: "I do not smoke." (But the person smells like tobacco....So you doubt his statement)

But inside your mind.. you're also asking yourself "What if my doubt is wrong, what if.. he works in a place where there are lots of smokers, but he doesn't smoke?"
MaI-Ita
2010-09-06 03:43:24 UTC
when I doubt sense how I can say No

doubt bad thing
?
2010-09-06 03:36:35 UTC
Yes. most of the time.some matters are dubious,others are plausible.there is doubt in doubt.
2010-09-07 12:52:04 UTC
yes
Atheist Christian
2010-09-06 04:09:11 UTC
Chuang-tzu is famous for doubting his own skepticism (doubting doubts).

Socrates says: "I do not know."

Chuang-tzu says: "I do not know, if i do or do not know."